Our principal working hypothesis is that there is a tendency in Western states to a critical transformation of the democratic order, one that can be seen as a reflex of larger global systemic changes(not merely neo-liberalism).
Group themes for 2013-14:
1. The transformation of democratic institutions in the West: the long term and the short (contemporary)
2. The end of the nation-state? Citizens or subjects?
3. New political elites and their strategies
4. The state, multi-ethnicity and multiculturalism
5. The cognitive and experiential component of regimes of power
For more information, contact Jonathan Friedman at jafriedman @ ucsd.edu